Tuesday 20 January 2015

Let's abbreviate I'm in a hurry!

Okay I am laughing right now. Why you may be thinking. Well I have spent the last several days visiting my blog with the intent to write. It's now been at least my fifth attempt! Hoping this post will reach its end before I change my mind and hit the erase button once again..
Oh my second paragraph. Looks like I may have a winner.
Okay, now I am going to use a familiar combo of letters I do tend to use quite a bit when chatting on Facebook or within emails to friends. Here goes, are you ready...here it is...LOL. Yup there it is, in all it's glory, I love it. In fact I must say that I have become a fan of the new slang.
Welcome to my unintended story line for today, the world of "Let's abbreviate I'm in a hurry", possibly a necessary evil?
Does anyone out there care to speculate how this trend was conceived. If I recall correctly my first introduction to this modern day short cut appeared to me while texting to a friend on my first cell phone. Yes the phone may have been the size of a small shoe box but it worked well as the way to stay in touch when necessary. Actually when I think back to the day I made my first phone call on my new phone, it was up there with being pretty dam thrilling, what was I thinking, as some days I find this modern day gadget truly tests my patience. Possibly a topic for another time.
I mentioned previously being a fan of this present day slang.Well I have to confess this was not the case at first as I found myself having to ask what ISO... LMAO and FYI, amongst many others, meant. After the use of some of this new slang  it was not long before I found my fingers walking through the letters with a flow that was almost addicting. This saved some time during the writing of a message and enabled me to send off in a quicker fashion. I'm not sure I will ever understand all the abbreviations but I do appreciate the motives behind their use.
I remember when I was a teenager, (you know that person you sometimes reflect back on from time to time) hearing both my parents say I don't always understand todays world, now I get it!
I may not always understand todays world and todays use of these letter combos, but when I ask questions and see the world through the eyes of others, especially the young then I get it.
 
There you go another collection of thoughts from the rambling mind of Patty J.
 
Bye for now. Until we meet again. LOL...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment