Friday 30 January 2015

VINTAGE IS GREEN





I think that I just had one of what I like to call a "light bulb moment"! While spending some time cruising  on Facebook this morning I was greeted by an image of an old window with missing glass. The glass was replaced with wood which was then painted with chalkboard paint.  "Light Bulb" moment, Vintage is GREEN!

All images included are examples from the past, used and recycled into garden and home decor.





I can also see the headings... antique, retro and unique as being GREEN as well.

Almost every day we are bombarded with ideas of how we can re-claim, re-purpose or re-new and I have to say if one looks closely at the web pages and blogs made available there is a huge following out there connecting with the past. The attraction to the old and antique, if you will, has a huge connection with the simplicity of the day and age these many items were a part of. When I use the word simple I mean as in comparison to our world today, when folks made do with what they had.

One of my romantic notions, my memories from the past, I recall  as a youngster visiting my Grandparents kitchen in North Bay Ontario. Grandma Jessup's large wood stove stood out as a unique item to have in ones kitchen. Of course at the time I had no idea what was involved in cooking the family meals on this stove. I do now!

Romantic notion once again has me un-consciously thinking of my grandma's stove when seeing images of the Amish style wood cook stove, which is now being replicated today. You talk about a blast from the past. I find this interesting that these old stoves from the so called " good ole days" are making their new yet modified return. Surprised, not really!

Todays fascination with the old, antique, vintage and retro is popular due to their huge merit and appeal. These times were definitely a time of many hardships. But certainly a time when the family unit had to be strong and work together as a cooperative within their households to survive. Honest hard work was established within these good ole days and these ethics were past on and if we pay close attention we can grasp onto some of these concepts from the past and combine them with the huge resources we have within our grasp today.

I am grateful for the year that I was born and the ethics that were pasted down to me from my grandparents and parents as we now head into our own homesteading projects ahead.

I love this new found term, Vintage is GREEN!
  
PEACE OUT!!! Patty J.






.





No comments:

Post a Comment