Wednesday 14 January 2015

Winter Season on the mountain!


Front view of  solar hut.



Winter Solstice December 21st. At least that's what they tell us.
Winter back in Alberta pretty much always began in the month of October, usually arriving just before Halloween and often hung on into May. Horrid winters.
Here in the West Kootenays the white stuff takes time with it's arrival. Not to say there isn't some teaser flurries that drop in then disappear. The teasing ended in the first week of the new year which came in like a lion dumping so much snow that we were faced with some pretty interesting realities.
First of all the solar panels needed a good sweeping, now that wasn't bad. Then came the interesting task of clearing the snow from the greenhouse. Now as you all may know snow removal on a flat surface is pretty much within the norm for that tool known as a shovel. Greenhouse snow removal, on the other hand,  involves a totally unique set of circumstances due to the roundness of the structure. So what does Kurt do he makes an almost telescope like device to take care of that job. He's quite the handy man.
Okay so solar panels cleared...check,  greenhouse roof cleared, check, check. Now the time arrived to make a path around the yard towards our long wild ride driveway. Frugal attempts were witnessed of too much snow collecting underneath the Jeep. Time to shut her down, for some wood chopping.
It's a week later and we are doing okay with our food supplies. Wood pile going down but not in the danger zone yet. Dogs are happy enjoying unique combinations of good dry dog food and sweet taters or rice. Cats are still enjoying the usual and daily grub gaining winter weight.
Are we free to head into town to stock up on supplies and do our weekly laundry, nope.
Then came the phone call from a neighbour friend of ours. "Heading into town come join me".  How exciting a trip to town. Time to put on the Kootenay Dancing Boots and start blazing a trail up to meet her.
Kurt leads the way...yikes slow going, kinda like walking in sand but much deeper. Now this walk without snow takes about five minutes, not the case today. About ten minutes later we reached the end of the driveway. Freedom arrives soon in the form of my neighbour, bless her heart.
Now the plan was to communicate with Kurt via cell phone communication, which in most cases is just a matter of sending a text message. News flash cell phone service here in these mountains is almost like carrier pigeon service but slower. Wait a minute there was a time when I did not have a cell phone.  Needless to say my message did not reach home. Good thing I bought a toboggan at Canadian Tire.
Lets load her up and begin this new journey through the snow. Toboggan and I began to forge ahead. After several wipe outs of myself as well as the laundry bag and supplies combined with some tears and solitary conversations with myself , only witnessed by the crows flying above, it finally dawned on me that this trek home would only end with success by taking one backwards step at a time.
Step after step 30 minutes later, mostly downhill found me going around the bend, yeah I was on the home stretch. After several attempts of calling Kurt's name I heard our dogs running down the steps to greet me, which was followed by a very puzzled looking man.
Now that I am writing to you all today I have had some time to reflect upon this winter event. There are so many things I am grateful for. That day was a beautiful sunny warm day...several days later Kurt spent time installing the chains on our Kubota Tractor (Boddie) and the drive way was cleared within 3 hours...I am blessed with my guy being fearless with tractor driving. I am still learning this endeavor. I also see that while in the midst of these winter tests spring is only just around the corner. Times for the original homesteaders were far more filled with hardships. We are pretty darn lucky.

After snow fall.



  PEACE OUT! Patty J.







5 comments:

  1. I can relate to those kind of adventures cuz! While we may be in our house in town now we've had to hike into the farm to retrieve items missing when we pulled everything from storage. Unlike you though I had to use a snow scoop. Glad to turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My memories of growing up in the north are romantic. Lots of snow. More snow. A bit more snow. Waking up to a glistening winter wonderland, a crackling fire in the wood stove, and my snowsuit just waiting for me to climb in and head out the door for a morning of sledding.

    I've lived in Missouri for 24 years now. I dream of returning to New England, but I know that the realities are different than the romantic memories. My memories are one thing, the hardships my parents endured during Vermont winters are quite another. Yes, I enjoyed when the power went out because candlelight and board games with my family were were so cozy, but my parents had to figure out how to keep the pipes from freezing and bursting. I enjoyed fresh cow's milk, but Mom had to go out in two foot of snow morning and night to milk her. The house was warm when I awoke because my parents had risen in the night to keep the fire going. I remember when the car wouldn't start and Mom pulled my sister and I a mile to school in a sled. Yeah... I know it would be different as an adult. I think I'll stick with the milder Missouri winters for now, but I sure admire my parents as well as you and Kurt. Love the pics and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete